I am going to share with you a great Apple Swirl Cake recipe that my grandmother and mother have been making for as long as I can remember. It’s a delicious cake that we always eat for breakfast or even for dessert with some whipped cream.
I absolutely love baked apples: they’re sweet, tart and tender. My favorite part is their wonderful warming aroma that fills the house!
The cake is spiced with cinnamon and swirled with chunks of sweet apples. It is also super moist: the addition of orange juice and yogurt to the batter gives the cake a wonderful texture. Can you believe that it gets better the second day? The spongy cake soaks the apple cinnamon juice to develop a deeper flavor.
I’ve never been able to stop with just one slice!
3 cups cored, peeled and chopped apples
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 + 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 medium eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup yogurt
2 teaspoons liquid vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Mix apples, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl.
2. In another large bowl combine sugar and oil.
3. Beat in eggs, orange juice, yogurt, and vanilla extract.
4. In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
5. Add to creamed mixture a little at a time until smooth.
6. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F).
7. Grease and flour a bunt pan.
8. Pour 1/3 batter into a greased bunt pan. Add 1/2 of the apple mixture on top of the batter.
Add another 1/3 of the batter, then the rest of the apples. End with the remainder of the batter on top.
9. Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
10. Cool for at least 10 minutes in the pan before turning the cake onto a wire rack.
11. Serve warm with whipped cream. Optional