A late spring favorite, the combination of ricotta cheese with lemon zest is absolutely divine! Feel free to substitute the plums with any other fruit such as berries or apples.
2 large eggs, room temperature
200g (1 cup) granulated sugar
225g (1 cup) ricotta cheese
80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon zest
130g (1 cup) all-purpose flour
55g (½ cup) almond flour
1½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp poppy seeds (optional)
6 fresh ripe plums, cut in half then sliced thinly
1. Preheat oven temperature to 350°F (180°C). Line a 12 muffin pan with paper.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk, beat the eggs and sugar on medium speed until thick and pale about 5 minutes. In another bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, oil, and lemon zest. Pour the cheese mixture into the whipped eggs and mix until combined.
3. Sift all of the dry ingredients directly over the wet ingredients. Mix with a large spatula gently until just combined, using a folding motion.
4. Pour the batter into the muffin pan and arrange the sliced plum on top.
5. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown, the edges are pulling away from the pan, and a cake tester or toothpick comes out of the cake cleanly. Cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then turn out to finish cooling on a rack.